Products and technology keep changing but humans don’t. The core reasons staff steal or defraud are unchanged (to be covered in a future blog posting). This report by the ECR Europe group is still relevant today. The key points are
The vast majority of offending took place at the till (69% of incidents). Method used where (in order)
- take cash from till
- non-scanning of items for family, friends and colleagues,
- allowing friends and family to use a staff member’s discount card
Vulnerable processes and procedures included
- Staff sharing till pin numbers or not logging off at the end of shifts
- Tills not being emptied and checked on a regular basis.
- Lack of supervision of night shift workers.